Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011- The year of high hopes

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill

2010 was a good and bad year for me. I had some of the best times of my life, and also some of the worst. The one thing I will always remember about 2010 is that it was the year my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer, making it the first year that really changed my life. My papaw has taught me many things throughout my life. Like how to make a perfect bowl of cream of wheat or how to tell a good story. But the biggest lesson he taught me he never spoke a word about, and I didn’t begin to learn it until he was diagnosed with his disease. It began when I went to church with him the first Sunday after he found out he was sick. Everyone was telling him they were praying for him and how sorry they were, and the first thing he would say to them is, “this is my granddaughter, isn’t she beautiful?” It was like his cancer had never been mentioned and he just wanted to show how proud he was to call me “his”. And their response to me was always the same “Your grandfather is one of the greatest men I’ve ever known.” I smiled and fought back my tears because I knew they were 100% right. He is the greatest man I’ve ever known too. My papaw lived a simple life, always had enough of what he needed but never more. His biggest investments were in the people around him- his family, church family, friends, and community. He shows love to everyone and spreads joy every where he goes. He had nurses stopping by after their shifts were over just to say hi and see his smiling face. I can’t go visit him without a friend calling to check on him and see how he’s doing. He has blessed so many lives and continues to everyday. Everything about him is exactly who I want to be- completely beautiful inside and out. I finally picked a new years resolution for 2011, and it is to be more like him. To love like him, forgive like him, be joyful like him, and enjoy life like him. I'm looking forward to this year and all the happiness I'm going to spread to others, all because my papaw has shown me the way.

1 comment:

  1. Should have prepared myself to read this! But all of this describes him perfectly, couldn't have said it any better. Love you melissa.. very blessed to have you in my life, I couldn't ask for a better cousin/bestfriend/sister to be by my side through all of this :)

    ReplyDelete